Monday, October 9, 2023

Happy Columbus Day!

In spite of the popular misconception, very few people in Columbus’s day still believed the world was flat. Columbus did not make his famous voyage to prove the world was round. Rather, it was Columbus who first realized that, because the world was round, one could reach Asia by sailing west from Europe.

The motives of Columbus are much maligned. Admittedly, Columbus understood the commercial benefit of a more direct route to India but in his heart Columbus was more of an evangelist than an explorer.  In his writing, the Book of Prophecies (excerpt here) Columbus wrote the following:


It was the Lord who put into my mind (I could feel His hand upon me) the fact that it would be possible to sail from here to the Indies. All who heard of my project rejected it with laughter, ridiculing me.  There is no question that the inspiration was from the Holy Spirit, because he comforted me with rays of marvelous illumination from the Holy Scriptures, a strong and clear testimony from the forty-four books of the Old Testament, from the four Gospels, and from the twenty-three Epistles of the blessed Apostles, encouraging me continually to press forward, and without ceasing for a moment they now encourage me to make haste….


I said that some of the prophecies remained yet to be fulfilled. These are great and wonderful things for the earth, and the signs are that the Lord is hastening the end. The fact that the Gospel must still be preached to so many lands in such a short time — this is what convinces me.


The name Christopher, in Greek, means bearer of Christ.  Columbus believed the return of Christ was imminent and it was his desire to fulfill the Great Commission and take the gospel into all the world. What an admirable goal that is and one worthy of emulation. Though Jesus has tarried another five centuries since Columbus, the Bible warns us we must always be vigilant lest His return should catch us unaware (Matthew 25:1-13).


I think Columbus Day should not be celebrated as the day Columbus discovered the New World. Rather, I think it should be a reminder that we need to continue in the work he started. With today’s technology of television, radio, and the internet, we can reach far more people than Columbus could ever hope to. Let’s look for new ways to take the gospel to the lost.


When Columbus landed on the first island of the New World, he christened it, “San Salvador” which means “Holy Savior.” He knelt on the island and offered a prayer. On this Columbus day, I’ve modified that prayer slightly and offer it now:


O Lord, Almighty and everlasting God, by Thy holy Word Thou hast created the heaven, and the earth, and the sea; blessed and glorified be Thy Name, and praise be Thy Majesty, which hath deigned to use us, Thy humble servants, that Thy holy Name may be proclaimed in [all] of the earth.


Amen!! Happy Columbus Day!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. Ol' Chris is maligned and even lied about, but do critics use or even know his words, what he was about? Not hardly! Normally, I miss timely things but I saw this one, did some rearranging, and scheduled it on social(ist) media for same day service. Even small accomplishments feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS,

      Thanks for visiting and for your comment. I'm like you about not being timely about posting time sensitive material. In this case, I wrote this post a few weeks ago and scheduled it to be automatically published this morning.

      I'm not sure exactly why Columbus is targeted for criticism but I suspect it has something to do with leftist ideologies and their general hatred for all western culture. It's very sad because it's Judaeo-Christian values that gave rise to their freedom to criticize. They would cut off their nose to spite their face!

      Thanks for sharing my post. Keep up the good work, brother!

      God bless!!

      RKBentley

      Delete